LifeLabs Data Breach Class Action
The Cyber Security Breach
On November 1, 2019 LifeLabs notified both the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC) and the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia (OIPC) of a potential cyberattack on their computer systems. On December 17, 2019, LifeLabs publicly confirmed that they were the subject of a cyberattack on their computer systems. The breach is the largest to date in Canada and the first to include sensitive health information collected by a major laboratory. The personal information of 15 million Canadians was extracted by cyber criminals, including names, addresses, emails, customer logins and passwords, date of birth, health card numbers from 2016 and earlier and, for 85,000 Ontario customers, lab test results in 2016. The full extent of the breach is not yet known, nor has LifeLabs directly notified affected patients.
LifeLabs Privacy Breach Class Action Lawsuit
The law firm Charney Lawyers PC has commenced a proposed class action on behalf of all Canadians whose personal information was compromised in the LifeLabs privacy breach.
For the press release, dated December 17, 2019, click here.
Statement from LifeLabs
For information on the breach released by LifeLabs, click here.
Statement from the IPC and the OIPC
For information on the breach released by the IPC and the OIPC, click here.
- What additional steps can I take to protect myself against fraud and identity theft?
- Customers who are registered users for LifeLabs’ online services should reset their passwords.
- LifeLabs has stated that it is offering its customers cyber security protection for one year from TransUnion, which includes credit monitoring and fraud insurance protection. Customers should consider signing up. These services will give customers:
- Unlimited online access to the TransUnion Credit report, updated daily.
- Unlimited online access to the TransUnion CreditVision® Risk score, with score factors and analysis updated daily.
- TransUnion credit monitoring alerts with email notifications to key changes on a consumer’s credit file to protect against identity theft and enable quick action against potentially fraudulent activity.
- Dark Web Monitoring to provide monitoring of surface, social, deep, and dark websites for potentially exposed personal, identity and financial information in order to help protect consumers against identity theft.
- Identity theft insurance of up to $50,000 in coverage to protect against potential damages related to identity theft and fraud.
You can activate these services by calling 1-888-918-0467 to receive a unique activation code to register for these services online.
- LifeLabs has set up a dedicated phone line and information on their website for individuals affected by the breach. To find out more, customers should visit customernotice.lifelabs.com or contact LifeLabs at 1-888-918-0467.
- If I elect to activate credit protection/cyber-security protection offered by LifeLabs, will this impact my status to register for the class action or participate in the class action?
No, you can still register and participate in the class action.
- As of January 6, 2020, LifeLabs is notifying customers by email that the LifeLabs online appointment booking system was compromised. If you registered for an online appointment booking account, your information may have been affected, and you must change your password to access your account. See the notice here.
The site is not designed to answer questions about your individual situation or entitlement. Do not rely upon the information provided on this website as legal advice in respect of your individual situation nor use it as a substitute for individual legal advice.
The information collected about potential class members will assist counsel in prosecuting the class action and assessing what damages were suffered by the class as a whole. Providing the information requested does not make you the client of Charney Lawyers. The court will ultimately decide who will be included as a class member.
This website will be updated from time to time to provide potential class members with information as it becomes available.